Sunday, July 15, 2012

Oh, the Things You Can Do with a Thrift Store Shirt!

(click on image for larger view)
It's been a "repurposing" kind of weekend.  I scored a really cool stash of thrift store goodies on Friday, which will soon be turned into all sorts of cute dresses, pants and shorts for the kiddos.  But today was all about a bright lime green polo shirt and some toddler shorts/pants!  I purchased this X-large ladies 3/4-sleeved knit polo at the thrift store a few weeks ago.  I think I paid $2, but it might have only been $1, since there was a half-price sale in progress.  Either way, it was a BARGAIN! 

The shirt had a knit collar, a pocket on one sleeve with silver grommets, and white twill tape trim on the snap placket and at the side slits near the hem.  I still have the snap placket - it will be perfect for the bottom of a toddler or baby romper!  But I used the sleeves and collar to make a darling pair of wide-leg pants for my niece, Kelsey.  The collar was perfect for folding over and creating the elastic waistband - created a really polished finish!

Then I used my boys' boxer short pattern to cut out shorts, utilizing the hem and the twill-trimmed slits.  I had enough left over to create a pair of toddler pants for my niece, Zola... a ruffled flounce made them just the right length!

In all, I think I got my money's worth out of this shirt... and I still have scraps for making the head and legs of a great little stuffed fabric turtle toy for the new baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment