Saturday, July 7, 2012

I'm Back in the Saddle Again!

I had a momentary "hitch in my giddyup" last Saturday when I was stitching some bias trim with my one and only double needle (I know, I know - I kept telling myself to order backups!) - and I hit a thick spot in the fabric and bent one of the needles irreparably.  I promptly ordered THREE new double needles; however, it took a week for them to arrive.  FYI, double sewing machine needles are not available on every street corner - certainly not at my local Wal-Mart! - so I ordered some from amazon.com.  AND... just so you know, the double needles I received are set wider apart than the one that came with my Brother sewing machine.  It's not bad... it's just an adjustment I have had to make - particularly when sewing narrow bias tape binding.  I also have to think about my elastic casings width and adjust so that there is still room for the elastic once I top-stitch!  Oh, WELL!

So I spent my week house cleaning, celebrating the Fourth of July (which also happened to be my BIRTHDAY!), and getting the laundry/sewing room organized. 

One of my projects for the next month is to make several garments for our great-niece, Kelsey, who will visit us the end of July.  Kelsey and her parents live in St. Louis, so we don't get to see them often.  Having her here to try on the clothes in person - and then not having to mail them to her - will be a treat! 

I ordered three dress patterns from Etsy.com recently.  One was for a little dress called the Peony Flower dress from Ruby Jean's ClosetWhat little girl wouldn't love to twirl around in this darling dress?! I started with a ladies pleated front skirt with elastic waist and a full front button placket. I'm thinking these would be adorable made from an old white damask tablecloth - perfect for a summer wedding! The hardest part is cutting 54 flower petals... that's a lot of little snips! But I think it was worth it... don't you?!
Another of the dress patterns I ordered was the Aubrey Bow Dress.  I made one for Kelsey for July 4th in red/white/blue cottons.  She looked so cute in it.  I'm going to make more of these... I have lots of ideas!  I mailed this dress to Kelsey, wrapped in tissue and a red ribbon, which she now has added to the ensemble by draping it around her neck.  This kid LOVES to make silly faces!  Hey, we were 2½ once, weren't we?!
A couple of summers ago, I found a vintage pillowcase at a yard sale - paid a whole quarter for it!  I've made two toddler dresses from it... the latest is - wait for it - a "pillowcase" dress!  I wasn't all that excited until I added the bloomers.  Now I think the outfit is too stinkin' cute!  The other dress I made was sold on Etsy some time ago.  I hope a lucky little girl is having fun wearing it, wherever she is! 

Finally, take a look at my little cousin Harper, rockin' two of the dresses I've made her recently.  Harper will be a year old in late September.  I think she can wear these dresses to college!*lol*  Seriously, she is a tiny wisp of a thing, and she looks adorable in anything we put on her!
Back to the sewing room I go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment