|Shorts in "On Our Way Main" yellow from RBD Designs|
Hanes t-shirt from WalMart
|The picture my niece sent me from Zulily.|
|My version with ruffled shorts to match!|
I cut out a pair of "Ta Da" shorts for Zola and trimmed them in the "Dino Dude" remnant. I had a couple of scraps that showcased some of the bigger dinosaurs, so I appliqued one on the right front leg...and one on the left rear.
I had purchased orange t-shirts for the boys, because they went well with the print colors AND also will match a yard of Michael Miller "Scuba Doo" print that will become shorts (hopefully next week!) for the boys. I had thought I would purchase a knit top for Zola. But then I realized that I had a substantial piece of "Ta Dot" left...and even a strip of the "Dino Dudes". And my wheels started to turn.
I have a pattern that I've used several times for Zola called the "Party Dress". It came from The Cottage Momma, and I've made Easter dresses from it two years running. I used the bodice pattern to cut out a crop top...and made bias strips to trim the armholes and neckline. Then I ruffled the "Dino Dude" strip and stitched it to the hem. The finish was four buttons down the back - "bright green and orange 'smiley-face flowers' from my stash." I got a package of these fun buttons at WalMart few years ago.
|The finished product...shorts/top for my niece Zola, and two sets of shorts/tees for the boys!|
|Back view of Zola's top and shorts.|
This was ALL that was left when I finished with these pieces. It's amazing what you can do with a yard of fabric and a few scraps!
HOPEFULLY I will get the kids to pose in their outfits long enough for a "fashion photo" or two that I can post here. Either way, I know that they will be adorable. I'm off to figure out what to do with the other scraps in my stash! Stay tuned!!